Sunday, June 12, 2005

The Modern Advertising System

The ever-musing Protestant is back, after his all too long absence. And he's ready for action. :-)

I'm sure you have, while innocently watching your TV, come across an advertisement whose scenario (not exact words) and intended viewer response go something like this:

This is Joey. He has a hot girlfriend. (Boy! She is nice...wish I could have a girlfriend like that.) Joey drinks an awesome, cool, refreshing brand of beer. (So?) This is the reason he has such a hot girlfriend. (Oh!) You can drink this same awesome, cool, refreshing brand of beer too, and for an affordable price! Then you can be just like Joey. Try it, you'll never regret it...and think about that girlfriend... (I say...not a bad idea! There's a 7-11 a couple blocks down, isn't there? I'm sure they sell that kind of beer there...)

And so on. The system has an almost infinite amount of variations, and sometimes appeals to different appetites (humor, toughness, freedom from "the rules," etc.), but as a general rule this is the basic pattern which modern advertising follows, right? I'm happy to accept disagreement here, you know...:-)

But, supposing for the moment that everyone agrees with me, let us consider: what is this system, exactly? What is it appealing to, and why does it work?

This system appeals almost invariably to the passions, emotions, and desires. Whether that be having a hot girlfriend or building up your biceps or going to the mall and looking good in front of your friends depends mainly on the type of product being sold and the audience at which it is directed. These advertisements dangle before their viewers some particular end, usually to an excess, which they know that most viewers want to some degree, and then tout their product, whether explicitly or implicitly, as a means to that end. The advertisers are really making the incredible claim of being able to satisfy man's greatest temporal desires--a happy marriage; an easy, untroubled life; and so on--with their product.

The strange thing is, these "hooks," so to speak, with which customers are fished for, more often than not have absolutely nothing at all to do with the product being sold. A large percentage of men in this country drink beer, but not all of them have hot girlfriends. Thousands of people own Volkswagen Touaregs and BMW Z-4s, and yet don't zoom down beautiful country roads with a trophy wife at their elbow. So why use this advertising system? Why offer people things which the product can't provide?

The simplest answer to that question is the kind of people our modern culture has produced. We (and I use this as an only semi-inclusive term which doesn't signify everyone in the world; I mainly mean the modern culture of the unsaved, though Christians aren't automatically immune from it themselves) have largely let our desires run amok. Having rejected Christ, our culture searches in an endless, unsatisfactory quest for something foundational, and something touting the ability to provide that--a sort of God-substitute, if you will--must have a powerful pull on people stabbing about in the darkness of the void for something to hold on to. I want happiness in my life. To me that means being muscular, looking good to me friends, having a beautiful wife. The Audi A4 can give me that. I'll buy the Audi A4 and see what happens. Something like that.

So modern advertising only works because of the sort of society we live in. Throw at Thomas Jefferson and he would give two or three hours of blazing rhetoric for every two minutes of commercial time. But throw it at someone nowadays and you get...the world of modern advertising, and modern sales.

What is the solution? Advertisers need to get real and provide us with some deliciously refreshing logical arguments as to why something is useful and should be bought. I'm not against humor in an advertisement. Certainly I wouldn't be one to be against humor! :-) But please, throw in a little how and why with the advertisement. For example: "You should buy X car because it gets superior gas mileage, is fast, reliable, handles well, looks nice, and can be bought at a reasonable price." Throw out the trophy wife; that is using a rubber worm to catch the fish. It won't satisfy. Only the truth will satisfy anyone--anything more is heresy or a vicious cycle of disappointment.

Thoughts, my friends? ;-)

~Connor, the musing Protestant

Side Note: I should mention that I myself almost never watch TV at all. Only on vacation, during elections or other important events, and at the homes of some people whom I know or to whom I am related do I normally watch TV.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great thoughts! I quite agree with you.

Isn't it more generally targetting people's happiness? Get this and you'll be happy. (insert example of "happiness")

I wonder if part our country's problems come from "Right to life, liberty and pusuit of happiness"

Connor Hamilton said...

Thanks, Stephen!

Yes, that's true, in a broad sense it does target happiness. You're right. They just vary the way in which they promise happiness.

Well, our country's problems might come in part from a *misinterpretation* of the "Right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." What the founding fathers meant by that was far different than the indiscrimate, uncharitable pleasure-hunting that goes on today.

Thanks much for commenting! I shall look forward to more of your thoughts here...

~Connor

Jeremy said...

Well, I will derail this and look at some specific, annoying, promises made by advertisers. For example, car commercials show someone driving down an open, empty road underneath a blue sky. The fact that open roads and blue sky doesn't mix is completely ignored. You might be able to drive under blue sky if there is a traffic jam. Conversly, there is the possibility that you could drive on an empty road when the sky is black. However, it is basically impossible to drive when the road is empty and the sky is blue. Unless, of course, you are driving for a commercial. Hmmm, remind me in a few years that I want to be a commercial actor. It sounds like a very nice job...

Anonymous said...

Good thoughts.

I have often thought about the state of America. It some ways it seems hopeless. But then I have to remember that the gate is narrow, and few enter it.

Most of the people in the US aren't going to change. Why should they? They don't care about God. What has He ever done for them?

What is the point to life?

Jeremy said...

Uh oh, another philosopher in our midst. Anyways, to answer the question, some people have proposed, "Eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die." Sound reasonable?

Anonymous said...

I don't think that can stand up to the rigorous test of time.

We either evolved, or were created.

If we evolved, then what you said is probably the best conclusion. As then there would be absolutely no base for morals.

However, if we were created by God...

Connor Hamilton said...

To Bushman:

Due to the difficulties of internet communication to adequately bring across emotions and meanings, it is very possible that I have misunderstood you. If I have, I ask your forgiveness. But I will reply to you on the face value of what you said. :-)

It depends on what you mean by "most" when you say that most people in the U.S. aren't going to change. I believe that in the time leading up to the Second Coming everything will change--drastically. Whether that time is near or far, a hundred years or a million, I don't know. But whether or not that radical change for the best will be in our time or not, I firmly believe it our responsbility to try, by God's grace, to change things in this country and this world.

Also, when you ask, "what has He [God] ever done for them?", I would reply that God has done much indeed in even allowing the unsaved to live and breathe in rebellion against Him. None of us deserve salvation. But some of us receive it.

So, in a sense, you're right. Most--or at least many--of the people in the U.S. today probably will not change. But perhaps some of them will. And it is our responsibility to try to make changes. God will effect them if it be His will.

I am not sure in what sense to take your question, "What is the point to life?" But if you are yourself really confused on the subject, the answer is both simple and complicated. By that I mean, there is a definite point to life. But there are many ways that can manifest itself. At face value God is the point to life. Worship of Him, reverence of Him, service for him, testification of His grace and mercy and love--and justice. But under that umbrella many things lie. I fear this reply is waxing on long, perhaps longer than you would care to read, so I won't elaborate more. If you would like me to post more extensively on the subject, just let me know and I would be happy to.

But perhaps you believe exactly the same thing. Perhaps I am misunderstanding or misquoting you. If so, again I ask your forgiveness. Thanks for stopping by my site, and I hope to see more comments from you!

In Christ,

~Connor

Jeremy said...

Actually, I don't think that evolutionists would agree with the philosophy I stated. Why? Because they believe in the survival of the fittest. Well, they might not mind if the weaker people follow that maxim, but they themselves probably want to be the biggest, fastest, smartest and overall bestest. The attainment of that goal would limit, "Eating, Drinking and Being Merry," though maybe not deny it.

Anonymous said...

Well, maybe I am struggling with understanding the purpose to life. Sometimes I think I have it figured out, but other times I am in doubt.

How can we as Christians be content to live our lives in peace and security and happiness while Christians in China and other places are being tortured and killed?

Are we supposed to have regular jobs or go on the mission field full time?

How much of the "Great Commission" applies to us?

Connor Hamilton said...

Bushman, your second comment has inspired me to write a whole new post. I shall start working on it tonight or tomorrow, and, I hope, finish it soon. Until then...

~Connor :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Connor, how is it coming?